|Short Name:||Henry Warburton Hawkes|
|Full Name:||Hawkes, Henry Warburton, 1843-1917|
Hawkes, Henry Warburton, born at Kendal, 1843, for sixteen years minister of the North End Mission, Liverpool, from 1891 to 1900 of the Bootle Free Church, since 1906 of West Kirby Free Church. Editor of Hymns of Help and Songs of Praise, 1882; and Hymns and Sacred Songs for Church and Home. 1891, Reprinted and enlarged, 1898. The edition of 1898 has about 100 of his own hymns and adaptations for popular tunes.
1. Amid the din of earthly strife. Vision of the Christ.
2. Father, Thy dear name we own. Litany.
3. Heavenward lift your banners. Christian Warfare.
4. Peace, perfect peace, the gift of God within. Inward Peace.
5. Thank we now the Lord of heaven. Christmas.
6. Thou knowest, Lord! Thou know'st my life's deep story. The Searcher of Hearts.
No. 3 published 1882; 1, 2, 4, 5 published 1891; 6 published 1898.
[Rev. James Mearns, M.A.]
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology, New Supplement (1907)