1. Great God! Beneath whose piercing eye
The earth’s extended kingdoms lie;
Whose favoring smile upholds them all,
Whose anger smites them, and they fall.
2. We bow before Thy heavenly throne;
Thy power we see, Thy greatness own;
Yet, cherished by Thy milder voice,
Our bosoms tremble and rejoice.
3. Thy kindness to our fathers shown
Their children’s children long shall own;
To Thee, with grateful hearts, shall raise
The tribute of exulting praise.
4. Led on by Thine unerring aid,
Secure the paths of life we tread;
And, freely as the vital air,
Thy first and noblest bounties share.
5. Great God, our guardian, guide and friend!
O still Thy sheltering arm extend;
Preserved by Thee for ages past,
For ages let Thy kindness last!
Source: The Cyber Hymnal #2035