Charlesworth, Vernon J. , was born at Barking, Essex, on April 28, 1839, and educated at Homerton College. In 1864 he became co-pastor with the Rev. Newman Hall at the old Surrey Chapel, and in 1869 the Head Master of Mr. Spurgeon's Stockwell Orphan¬age. Mr. Charlesworth has published The Life of Rowland Hill, &c, 1876, and, in co-operation with Mr. J. Manton Smith, Flowers and Fruits of Sacred Song and Evangelistic Hymns. To this work he contributed:—
1. As you gather round the family board. Plea for Orphans.
2. Blessed Jesus, Lord and Master. Conferences.
3. Come, brethren, let us sing. Praise to God.
4. Come to Jesus, He invites you. Invitation.
5. Heart to heart by love united. Holy Matrimony.
6. How blest in J… Go to person page >
In some hymnals, the editors noted that a hymn's author is unknown to them, and so this artificial "person" entry is used to reflect that fact. Obviously, the hymns attributed to "Author Unknown" "Unknown" or "Anonymous" could have been written by many people over a span of many centuries. Go to person page >