|Short Name:||Kate Hankey|
|Full Name:||Hankey, Kate, 1834-1911|
Arabella Katherine Hankey (b. Clapham, England, 1834; d. Westminster, London, England, 1911) was the daughter of a wealthy banker and was associated with the Clapham sect of William Wilberforce, a group of prominent evangelical Anglicans from the Clapham area. This group helped to establish the British and Foreign Bible Society, promoted the abolition of slavery, and was involved in improving the lot of England's working classes. Hankey taught Bible classes for shop girls in London, visited the sick in local hospitals, and used the proceeds of her writings to support various mission causes. Her publications include Heart to Heart (1870) and The Old, Old Story and Other Verses (1879).
Hankey, Katharine, has published several hymns of great beauty and simplicity which are included in her:—
(1) The Old, Old Story, 1866; (2) The Old, Old Story, and other Verses, 1879; (3) Heart to Heart, 1870, enlarged in 1873 and 1876. In 1878 it was republished with music by the author.
Miss Hankey's hymns which have come into common use are:—
1. Advent tells us, Christ is near. The Christian Seasons. Written for the Sunday School of St. Peter's, Eaton Square, London, and printed on a card with music by the author.
2. I love to tell the story Of unseen things above. The love of Jesus. This is a cento from No. 3, and is given in Bliss's Gospel Songs, Cincinnati, 1874, and other American collections.
3. I saw Him leave His Father's throne. Lovest than Me? Written in 1868. It is No. 33 of the Old, Old Story, and other Verses, 1879.
4. Tell me the old, old story. This Life of Jesus in verse was written in two parts. Pt. i., "The Story Wanted," Jan. 29; and Pt. ii., "The Story Told," Nov. 18, 1866. It has since been published in several forms, and sometimes with expressive music by the author, and has also been translated into various languages, including Welsh, German, Italian, Spanish, &c. The form in which it is usually known is that in I. P. Sankey's Sacred Songs & Solos. This is Part i. slightly altered.
Miss Hankey's works contain many suitable hymns for Mission Services and Sunday Schools, and may be consulted both for words and music with advantage.
--John Julian, Dictionary of Hymnology (1907)
|Texts by Kate Hankey (32)||As||Authority Languages||Instances|
|حدثني الروايه||Kate Hankey (Author)||Arabic||1|
|Advent tells us Christ is near||Katherine Hankey (Author)||English||12|
|Ansío contar la historia||Kate Hankey (Author)||Spanish||2|
|Bringt mir die frohe Kunde||Kate Hankey (Author)||2|
|Dime la antigua historia||Kate Hankey (Author)||Spanish||11|
|Diru la historion pri Kristo nun al mi||Kate Hankey (Author)||Esperanto||2|
|என் இயேசு வாழ்ந்த வாழ்க்கையின் (Eṉ iyēcu vāḻnta vāḻkkaiyiṉ)||Kate Hankey (Author)||English||2|
|Erzähl mir, o erzähle||Katherine Hankey (Author)||German||2|
|Grato es contar la historia||Katherine Hankey (Author)||Spanish||17|
|He oli ko'u ke hai la||Katherine Hankey, 1834-1911 (Author)||Hawaiian||3|
|I love to tell the story Of unseen things above||Catherine Hankey (Author)||English||1070|
|I saw Him leave His Father's throne||Kate Hankey (Author)||English||2|
|Ich bringe gern die Kunde||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||1|
|Ich kann es ja nicht lassen||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||2|
|Ich liebe zu erzählen||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||3|
|Ich sag' so gern die Kunde||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||6|
|Ich singe gern die Kunde||Katherine Hankey (Author)||German||2|
|Iza no hitantara ny Tompo Jesosy||Katherine Hankey (Author)||Malagasy||2|
|Kommt her, ich will erzählen||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||1|
|Naragsac a sarita||Katherine Hankey (Author)||Tagalog||2|
|Nun lasset uns erzählen||Katherine Hankey (Author)||German||1|
|O sage mir noch einmal||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||2|
|O sprich ein Wort von Jesu||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||1|
|¡Oh jóvenes, venid! Su brillante pabellón||Kate Hankey (Author)||Spanish||7|
|පෙර පුවත් පවසන් (Pera puvat pavasan)||Kate Hankey (Author)||Sinhala||2|
|Redites-moi l'histoire de l'amour de Jesus||Arabella Hankey (Author)||French||3|
|Sag' mir die heil'ge Kunde||Kate Hankey (Author)||German||7|
|Sig mig den gamle Sandhed||Katherine Hankey (Author)||2|
|Скажи мне весть благую (Skazhi mne vest' blaguyu)||Kate Hankey (Author)||Russian||2|
|Tell me the old, old story, Of unseen things above||Katherine Hankey (Author)||English||417|
|വര്ണ്ണിക്കും ഞാന് എന് സാക്ഷ്യം-മേല് ലോക കാര്യങ്ങള് (Varṇṇikkuṁ ñān en sākṣyaṁ-mēl lēāka kāryaṅṅaḷ)||Kate Hankey (Author)||Malayalam||2|
|我愛傳講主福音 (Wǒ ài chuán jiǎng zhǔ fúyīn)||Kate Hankey (Author)||Chinese||2|